Thursday, March 25, 2010

Transformation Challenge II - week 2 and 3 summary

I promised to post a brief summary of how the TC2 has been going so far this go 'round. All in all, it's been going well. I was fortunate to have a friend of mine from TC1 join in this year as well as a friend of mine that I have known for years. We were grouped with another amazing gal to make our team of four. I am so blessed to have this team. We are all so supportive of each other, so committed to this challenge and we make each other laugh. That last bit, I feel, is very important! And the trainer assigned to our team is Lauren - yay! She's scary hard, but in a good way. And while we won't be working out with her on a regular basis (other than in boot) I know she expects a lot from us and will be a wonderful source of support and knowledge through this all.

The first week of TC2 was "orientation week." We did our medical screenings and tests (curl ups, push ups and 3 min step test), got measured, weighed, etc, etc. We also had our first WW meeting where we got the rundown on how it works, how to measure food and calculate points, etc.

The WW part, at least, is old hat to me having been a repeat offender over and over again in the last 10 years. That is a bit of an advantage and a disadvantage. An advantage because I already know what I'm doing and don't have to figure it out. It's a disadvantage because I think I took these first two weeks a little too casually when it came to food. I journaled, I tallied points, etc, but I didn't attack it with the renewed vigor of a true WW newbie. It also didn't help that it was unfortunate timing with my hormonal cycle so these first two weeks of WW, I only lost 0.6 total. But it's a LOSS, right? And I am going to kick that scale's behind next week, for sure.

Boot camp is every bit as challenging as I remembered it. Natalie is doing the Monday boot, Lauren the Wednesday and Friday will be various classes the gym normally holds at other times of the day/week. I think this is a great idea because it lets people try out some of the classes and see which ones they like.

I am trying to get my cardio in before boot due to my work schedule, but that means, 5:30 AM cardio sessions. Which means getting up at - brace yourself - 4:30 to be out the door by 4:45. That's AM people! A!!!! M!!!! Ugh. It hurts my brain to even type those numbers out. I have been semi-successful at this so far. I caught a nasty cough/cold thing from the kiddos that has hindered my efforts there a bit, but I am trying to adjust to this new start time for my day. Wish me luck!

I am really liking the cardio class on Fridays at 5:30 AM and the RPM class on Mondays at 5:30 AM so I will definitely be getting in to those every week. Wednesdays I might try the Body Flow class before boot. I love Body Flow and while it's not considered cardio, it burns some good calories and I think it's a good recovery class to take once a week. I'll squeeze my cardio in after boot on Wednesdays.

Tuesdays I am thinking I will hit the 6:45 AM RPM class most weeks and Thursdays will be cardio on the treadmill or elliptical before our WW meeting.

Whew! I think that's all my workouts. In the afternoons, if I can get a walk or bike ride in with the kids, great. Same thing on the weekends. If I can get a hike or something in, that's a bonus.

So there it is - my summary, my workout plans. Please, hold me accountable. Part of the benefit of writing it out here is that i have to face those few people who read this blog and they will hopefully ask how it's going. And that is motivation right there! I don't want to have to hang my head in shame when I see you all at the gym or around town, so you can bet I will be busting my hiney!

Have a good week all!

No comments: