Wednesday, August 5, 2009

1/2 Marathon Training - Week 1, Day 2

After being on death’s door last week, yesterday was my first day back at the gym in over a week. I was a little nervous about being able to keep up in Combat. Adding to the anxiety was the fact that the City to Sea training starts this week and while I was up to running 2.5 miles a few times a week before I got sick, I wasn’t sure what I’d be up to this week.

Combat was much better than I expected. I tried to push myself as hard as I could and I don’t think I have ever worked that hard in that class before. It was a killer class and I am proud of myself for my effort. I only wish I had my heart rate monitor on (d’oh! Left it in the locker room!) to know how many calories I burned because I’m guessing - and keep in mind this is just an estimate – I’m guessing it was a lot! And I forgot that I was even sick last week because honestly, it felt like I hadn’t really been away from the gym at all. Well, that’s probably a lie, but just a white one. I think it was a little tough at first, but once I forced my brain to stop thinking about the fact I hadn’t worked out in many, many days, then my body forgot too. Funny how that works.

I didn’t get into the gym early enough to run before Combat, which was my intention, so I went back after work and ran then. On the training plan was 3 miles or 35 min. I picked 3 miles just to see if I could do it. Amazingly enough, I could. I ran for the first 2.25 miles, walked a half mile, then pushed through and sprinted the last 0.25 mile. It felt good. It kicked my butt…but it felt good. Here’s the stats for anyone interested:
Warmup: 5 min at 3.5 mph walking
Cooldown: 5 min
Total time: 52 min
Distance: 3.26 miles (including warmup/cooldown)
Max Heart Rate: 166
Avg Heart Rate: 141
Calories burned: 470

Two days down, sixty-seven more to go…but who’s counting?

No comments: